x4pointproductions.freeforum.ca

x4Point Productions - StarCraft Map Making And Modding Community
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
Author Enter your Message here
 Post subject: The x4Point Mafia - Round 3 - Game Ended
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:46 pm 
Site Admin - Hyperion Captain

x4Point Mafia
Round 3
Mafia..In StarCraft!

Enter Mafia: a strategic guessing game of murder, mystery, and statistics! Players dwell within a town that has been infiltrated by the Mafia. Dead bodies start turning up and everyone becomes a suspect. If the Townspeople manage to lynch all the Mafia, they win. Otherwise, the Mafia kill everyone in the town and claim victory.

** NEWS **

This time, the theme is..StarCraft!

** HOW IT WORKS **
Players receive roles at the start of the game. Roles are randomly selected. There are only two factions in play: townsperson and mafia. The game itself runs on a day/night cycle. Every day, the townspeople can vote to execute one person. Every night, each mafia kills one person.

The game takes place over alternating periods of Day and Night. (Game Time, not according to the real world.) The game begins at day.

An example game would be like this:
A game with 8 players. Players 3 and 4 are Mafia.:
Day 1: The town votes to execute Player 1. He is revealed to be in fact not a mafia. The town is put to shame.
Night 1: The two mafia kill Players 2 and 5. Now, the only remaining townspeople are Players 6, 7, and 8.
Day 2: The town votes to execute Player 3, who turns up as mafia. There is now one mafia remaining, and 3 townspeople.
Night 2: The mafia kills Player 6.
Day 3: The two remaining townspeople vote to execute Player 4, the last mafia.
The town wins.

For example games, please see:
http://www.staredit.net/topic/584/0/
http://www.staredit.net/topic/948/0/
http://www.staredit.net/?topic=1193
http://www.staredit.net/?topic=1447
http://www.staredit.net/topic/3415/
http://www.staredit.net/topic/4516/
http://www.staredit.net/topic/4819/

** NIGHT **
During the night, the town sleeps and the Mafia strikes. A time-limit is imposed on the night phase. Night ends with a posted report of the killings and other actions that may have taken place. The post contains clues that, hopefully, are not too hard. ;)
Each Mafia gets to kill one player of his choice.

To send a night action, PM it to me. Be OBVIOUS.

Please write the names fully and correctly. Also note that if a night hit was submitted and then changed, the new hit is moved to the end of the hit list.

** DAY **
Democracy rules by day in form of a vote. Every player (including Mafia) may place a vote to select a player to be executed and killed off. When the person is executed, their role is revealed.

-- VOTING REGULATIONS
- You must vote in the topic. Votes via PMs, battle.net, IMs, or any other medium are not acceptable and not counted.
- Votes must be placed for specific individuals only, no variable voting. (ie, no "guy who posts next" or "biggest bandwagon")
- Votes must be clear and free of ambiguity. A simple "I vote X" is sufficent. Ambiguous statements, such as "I think X might be mafia" will not be counted.
- You may not vote for yourself, dead players, or people who are not playing.
- You may only place one vote on one person.
- You may formally abstain from the the vote to be factored in as active and be included in the total of votes placed.
- You may change your vote until day ends. Do not abuse this. You will be forbidden from further vote changes if you make things difficult with vote changes.
- In case of a tie, randomization is used.
- Please go out of your way to make your vote visible. A seperate line is nice. We promise not to get insulted if you pretend we're almost blind.

After the town has decided by majority or time up, the victim(s) is/are executed and their alignment and role revealed. If there are still surviving mafia, the next night begins.

** VICTORY CONDITIONS **
The day and night cycles repeat until one side is victorious.
The town wins when all mafia have been executed.
The mafia wins when they outnumber the townspeople. (they would outvote and overpower them.)

** MISCELLANEOUS **
A. Conversation via external means is discouraged. You may encounter or engage in deception, conspiracies, and trickery. I take no responsiblity for broken trust and shattered friendships - outside communication takes place at your own risk. Some well-played impersonations can dramatically alter the outcome of the game.

B. Dead persons and non-players "MAY" talk, but your posts will be deleted if they violate any of the following:
1. It is reasonable to say that the post may alter the course of the game or influence players in any way.
2. The post is annoying or just not funny.
3. They violate the rules.
4. I feel like it.
They may not influence the game by communicating with players still living.

C. One may not request or volunteer screenshots, videos, etc. of another's role screen or someone's password via the thread, a PM, or any other method. The game is intended to be won via behavioral analysis, special roles, and praying a lot. Such exchanges will be punished severely and take place at your own risk.

D. It is recommended you read over the other mafia games(the link are at the bottom of the post) in order to have an idea of what this game is like.

E. For the purposes of this game, all female players will be referred to as males, meaning you cannot base votes on "omg it said 'her' in the story lets vote the females".

-- SIGNING UP
If the game has not started, you may sign up by posting in this thread and I will add you to list. There is no maximum amount of players.

Take note of the following:
1. A non-default avatar is required to play. If you wish to play, make sure you have chosen a unique avatar.Useless and inactive players ruin balancing and ultimately, the game itself.
2. If you plan on being away from the game for more than 2 days at a time during the game, it is better that you do not play and sit the round out.
3. Please note you will be restricted from editing your profile once the game starts. This is because clues may be based off such things. You are aware of this and agree not to bitch about it.
4. If the game has already started, you must wait until the next game.
5. By signing up to play, you agree that you have read and understood the first post(s) containing the rules and setup of the game. Failure to show understanding of the information provided in the first post(s) at any time after signing up may result in a ban from the game.

If you have any questions, PM me.

** ROLES **

CIVILIAN - Basically, the townsperson. No special roles, no abilities.
Has a 10% chance of dodging a hit. If a Civilian dodges a hit, his role is revealed.

DARK TEMPLAR - The mafia. Each night, each Dark Templar gets to kill one Civilian of their choice.

MARINE - The marine is a normal Civilian, except for the following: If the Marine is hit at night, he has a 50% chance to injure his killer, who will be unable to do anything for the following day and night. In addition, the Marine cannot dodge hits.

GHOST - Mafia-aligned.
Power: Cloak - Hides the Ghost for one day. While hidden, he evades any attempt to execute him. Reveals his role if used. One use.
Power: Snipe - Kills a target player, regardless of lives. Cannot be dodged, and bypasses Medic protection. Can NOT be used in addition to the Ghost's nightly hit. One use.

MEDIC - Town-aligned. Has two lives, and only 5% chance of dodging Dark Templar hits.
Power: Protect - Protects ONE player from ONE Dark Templar hit for ONE night. Three uses.
Power: Heal - If the Medic is injured, he may use this ability during Night to heal his other life back. One use.
Power: Optical Flare - Blinds a target player. A blinded player cannot use ANY abilites whatsoever, and cannot dodge Dark Templar hits. If Optical Flare is used on a Dark Templar or mafia-aligned Ghost, they will have a 30% chance of their nightly hit failing. A Blinded player will have their role revealed. One use.

I play the role of "God". My judgment is used where I deem it necessary. Divine intervention via lightning bolts may occur. If you have any suggestions, let me know.

** SUMMARY **
* The game runs on a day/night cycle. It does not follow real time.
* There are two groups, the Mafia and the townspeople.
* Each Day, the townspeople(including the Mafia) vote to have one person executed who they think might be mafia.
* When the Day ends, a report of who was killed is posted, as well as some subtle clues leading to the mafia.
* During the Night, each mafia gets to kill one townsperson.
* When the Night ends, a report of who was killed is posted, as well as more subtle clues leading to the mafia.
* The town wins when all the Mafia have been executed.
* The Mafia win when they outnumber the townspeople.
* The day and night cycles repeat until one side is victorious.
* The mafia know who the other mafia are.
* If there is one mafia and one townsperson remaining, the mafia wins.
* What makes the game challenging is that no one knows who's Mafia and who's a townsperson.

Credit: Dimma Davidoff at the Psychological Department of Moscow State University, for creating the game in the spring of 1986.
Hajjhowe & Triple 6 @ PWA message board.
http://www.random.org for role randomization.

** PARTICIPANTS **
A striked out name indicates the person is dead. When the game starts, the types and numbers of each special role present in the game will be posted.

1) KingOfAlex
2) DitsyKlutz(Diana)
3) Stasis Blue
4) BigTimePimpin
5) AttaXer
6) NauTii-Link
7) Zippy
8) StarShip2500

2 of 4 Civilian alive.
0 of 1 Dark Templar alive.
0 of 1 Marine alive.
1 of 1 Medic alive.
0 of 1 Ghost alive.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The x4Point Mafia - Round 3 - Signups Open!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:05 pm 

People, please note the roles in this game.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:41 pm 
Rank 3 - Terran Firebat
Rank 3 - Terran Firebat

sign me up

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:51 pm 
Moderator - Danimoth
Moderator - Danimoth

We totally blew out the last mafia game and we still had a chance to lose.

You're making their roles too powerful. A role-revealing blind?
Op Flare a suspiscious person
Then it's like good game. These roles are way over-powered and because they can be used more than once makes it almost impossible for the Mafia to win.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:38 pm 

That is why the Ghost may be mafia-aligned. I may change it so he IS mafia-aligned, and drop out the randomization bit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:46 pm 

Roles changed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:58 pm 
Rank 5 - Terran Vulture
Rank 5 - Terran Vulture

I think the new roles are original and exciting; kudos to Ilks for modifying them to fit a theme... I only hope that these roles don't prove to be rigged for any team, though I'm too lazy to think it all through now.

OH, on a side note, ilks, can we have a detective in the next round?

Let the games begin :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:05 am 

Special roles from SEN Mafia like the Detective require a much larger player base in order to not be completely rigged. Before any specialized roles like the Detective come in, we're going to need at least 10 players.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The x4Point Mafia - Round 3 - Signups Open!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:12 am 
Rank 0 - Terran Civilian
Rank 0 - Terran Civilian
Random avatar

sign me up

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm 
Rank 2 - Terran Marine
Rank 2 - Terran Marine

enzo says he signed up D:

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next